MCARD Mission StatementMCARD is dedicated to the promotion and improvement of rural economies and value-added agricultural opportunities in the Mahaska County area and to the development of both vision and leadership to enhance the quality of life in all Mahaska County.
MCARD HistoryThe current Mahaska County Agriculture & Rural Development Program evolved from the groundwork laid by the committee and staff of the previous Rural Action program. It brought attention to the significance of the agriculture sector to the whole of an economy. The Oskaloosa Area Chamber & Development Group, Mahaska County's Board of Supervisors and the local volunteers who serve as committee members decided to build upon these initial efforts and brought together a renewed vision to create the Agriculture and Rural Development Program.
MCARD Strategic Plan ObjectivesNew Business/Start-up
- Maximize the Mahaska County Revolving Loan Fund
- Increase contact with and maintain regular service to small businesses seeking information about assistance and educational opportunities.
- Grant assistance to MCARD member cities and small businesses.
- Organization and coordination efforts for Mahaska Young Professionals
- Provide ongoing information about IowaWorks opportunities to area businesses.
- Coordinate with IowaWorks to host a Job Fair to connect students/job seekers to local employers.
- Explore feasibility and possibly pursue Mahaska County becoming a Home Base Iowa Community.
- Coordinate 'Educators in the Workplace' training program, along with Opportunity2 partners and Indian Hills Community College.
- Ensure information is available on events happening in smaller communities around Mahaska County
- Help identify and promote niche markets in the rural Mahaska County communities.
Mahaska County Agricultural and Rural Development (MCARD)
Deann DeGroot, Director
124 N. Market St.
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Phone: (641) 672-2591
Fax: (641) 672-2047